Happy Monday, everyone! I hope you all had a faaaabulous weekend! I know I did—I spent it in California! Don’t worry, I’ll give you all the details in a post later this week.
In my post about controlling cravings, one of my tips talked about finding sources of sweetness in your life that don’t come covered in chocolate. Since I’ve been sugar-free for almost two weeks, I’ve definitely needed to use this tip in my own life! For a long time, if I was feeling sad, lonely or bored, I’d turn to food (and most often, sweets) to comfort myself or occupy my time. Now, however, I’ve found new, better coping mechanisms, and I want to share them with you!
Keep in mind that these are what work for me; what works for you could be completely different! The five items below are simply ways that I like to take care of myself that don’t involve cakes and cookies. These alternatives give me the same feelings of happiness or stress relief, and they’re WAY healthier!
- Cuddle Time – This is one of my favorite things to do, yet I never seem to get enough of it! Instead of reaching for a package of Oreos to give myself that warm and fuzzy feeling, I slide across the couch until I’m practically smothering my boyfriend. Hey, sometimes a little human touch is all we need! Besides, I know he likes it, haha.
- Exercise – Though a tough workout can suck the life out of me while it’s happening, the natural high I get afterward is SO worth it! If you ever need a little pick-me-up, I think exercise is the way to go—even if it’s just a walk on a beautiful day. For a more relaxing experience, try running or yoga.
- Massage – One of my favorite things in the world, a massage can always make me feel better! Though the “real thing” is awesome, a shoulder rub from my boyfriend or self-massage with my foam roller can do the trick, too!
- Reading – If you’re like me, a good book can be the perfect escape when you need to get away from reality for a minute. I love being able to immerse myself in another world and forget about anything that might be stressing me out, even if it is just for an hour or so. Though fiction is great, there are some fantastic non-fiction books out there about health and wellness, and sometimes I find those ones are even better at helping me overcome cravings!
- Comedy – Laughter is the best medicine, right? Watching television shows like New Girl or The Office never fail to make me laugh, and often times that’s just what I need! If I’m not in the mood for TV, DYAC never fails me.
There you have it! Those are just a few ways that I like to add a little relaxation, laughter and sweetness to my life! These alternatives are more fulfilling, fun and satisfying than any kind of sugary treat you could eat—I promise. Next time a craving strikes, give one of them a try!
What are some of your favorite ways to sweeten up your life?